Banana bread brownies from The Fat Witch Bakery
old-fashioned banana bread is fabulous, but a bit of chocolate punch makes it even better. These brownies make no claim to be nutrition bars, but they are extremely moist, dense, and comforting. Be sure to use very ripe bananas. If they smell sweet and are covered in black spots, they're perfect. If you have more than enough bananas for this recipe, stash the extras wrap in foil in the freezer until you're ready to make another batch. Refrigerate any leftover brownies.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, three quarters stick
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups very ripe bananas, mashed, about 3 to 4 bananas
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- three large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
How to Make Banana bread brownies from The Fat Witch Bakery
- 1grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350°.
Melt the butter and chocolate in a small pan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 2In another bowl, mix the vanilla and sugar into the mashed bananas with a fork. Add the beaten eggs and continue mixing until everything is well combined.
- 3Measure the flour and salt and sift together directly into the banana batter and mix until well combined. If desired, stir in the walnuts.
- 4Using a spatula, fold in two thirds of the cooled chocolate mixture until it is just incorporated. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and drizzle the remainder of the chocolate mixture on the top. Move the spatula in and through the batter to create streaks of chocolate.
- 5Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for one hour. Cut just before serving. Makes 12 to 16 brownies.