How to Make Pecan Brittle
- Extra utensils: forks, 2 silpats, candy thermometer
(if you don't have silpats, lightly butter a large baking sheet. Keep in a warm place until ready to use)
- Butter forks - front and back. Set aside.
- Combine baking soda, 1/2 t water and vanilla and set aside.
- Combine water and corn syrup in a large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring accsionally to 240 degrees on the candy thermometer.
- Stir in pecans and cook, stirring constantly to 300 degrees.
- Remove from heat, remove the candy thermometer, then add soda mixture and mix well.
- Pour about half onto each silpat (or onto warm baking sheet). Using forks, tines pointed up, carefully spread the brittle out.
- Cool, then break into pieces. Store in an air tight container.