Oven Caramel Corn
I always make 2 batches at a time!
I will say that this is fun to spruce up and package pretty in holiday bags, to suit the holiday.
*I will add ideas for sprucing up at the end of the directions.
*Old Maids = Unpopped Kernels
- 3-4 qt
- popped corn, old maids removed
- 1 c
- brown sugar
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
How to Make Oven Caramel Corn
- 1Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- 2Divide popped corn between 2 ungreased 9x13 pans. (I use one of those huge black with white specks roasting pans (it holds a turkey) It works great in place of the 9x13's)
- 3In a medium/large saucepan heat sugar, butter, syrup and salt, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around the edges. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Remove from heat, stir in baking soda, until foamy. It will swell up alot...doubling in size...hense the larger than medium saucepan needed. :)
- 5Pour over popcorn, stirring to evenly coat.
Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 6Pour out onto wax paper or foil, spreading out for it to cool, then break apart and ENJOY!!!
- 7FOR FUN IDEAS:
-While caramel corn is cooling on wax paper, melt your favorite chocolate and drizzle over the top.
-Add nuts, any kind to the popcorn in the 9x13 pans before you add the caramel sauce.
-Do both add nuts before caramel and when cooling drizzle with chocolate.
-Food coloring can be added right after you add the soda.
-after it's made and cool you can add m&m's, salted nuts, dried fruit, pretzels...creating a trail mix of sorts...
- 8EASY way to remove the old maids...when you pop your corn, I will assume you place it in a large bowl...simply shake your bowl side to side, lift out the top popcorn (this is where I start to measure mine, as I lift the popcorn out I put it into my 8 cup mix and pour bowl then into the pan it's to be baked in), shake again and remove top popcorn again...until you get to the bottom of the bowl where you'll find all the old maids, then toss them out