Old Fashioned Candied Apples
You may want to read the NOTES in Step 6 before making them.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/4 tspcream of tartar
·red food coloring drops
·popsicle sticks or something similar
How to Make Old Fashioned Candied Apples
- Mix 1st 3 ingredients in saucepan.
- Put on high heat with candy thermometer positioned in center of fluid level.
- While it is boiling, thoroughly wash and dry your apples, and spear with the sticks.
- Boil mixture until reaches hard crack (300ºF), then immediately add red food coloring and stir.
- Quickly dip the apples, twisting to cover, and set on a greased cookie sheet.
You may want to use a deep, narrow pan, and tilt it to cover the apples well.
You should not make the coating too thick as it will be hard to bite through to the apple.
A reviewer suggested that you could also make the coating orange, and reserve some to tint black. The drizzle the black over the up-turned apples!
The same reviewer said she covered 12 medium apple.