Old Fashioned Candied Apples
You may want to read the NOTES in Step 6 before making them.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- 1 c
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- red food coloring drops
- 4-12 medium
- popsicle sticks or something similar
How to Make Old Fashioned Candied Apples
- 1Mix 1st 3 ingredients in saucepan.
- 2Put on high heat with candy thermometer positioned in center of fluid level.
- 3While it is boiling, thoroughly wash and dry your apples, and spear with the sticks.
- 4Boil mixture until reaches hard crack (300ºF), then immediately add red food coloring and stir.
- 5Quickly dip the apples, twisting to cover, and set on a greased cookie sheet.
You may want to use a deep, narrow pan, and tilt it to cover the apples well.
You should not make the coating too thick as it will be hard to bite through to the apple.
A reviewer suggested that you could also make the coating orange, and reserve some to tint black. The drizzle the black over the up-turned apples!
The same reviewer said she covered 12 medium apple.