Jordan Michelle Falco
These recipes are copied straight from my notes in my individual production pastry class. I’m putting them here on just a pinch for my own posterity.
This recipe makes a lot. It may be best to cut it down by 1/2, depending on how much you want to make
- 1/2 oz
- dried egg whites
- 2 oz
- 3.4 oz
- fresh egg whites
- 39 oz
- almonds, whole, blanches
- 16 oz
- 26 oz
- 7 oz
- vanilla bean, scraped
- 8 oz
- glucose syrup
- 1 1/2 oz
- cocoa butter, melted
How to Make Nougat Torrone
- 1Mix the dired egg whites with the first sugar. Whisk this mixture into the fresh egg whites to hydrate. Pour egg white mixture into the mixing bowl of a 5-qt planetary mixer with a whip attachment. Do not start mixing.
- 2Toast the almonds. Place the almonds in a large stainless steal bowl and keep warm in a 250F oven until needed.
- 3Bring honey to a boil. Keep warm.
- 4Combine the second sugar, the water, vanilla seeds and pod, and glucose syrup. Cook to 302F. Add the warm oney to the sugar and begin whipping the egg whites on high speed.
- 5When the sugar mixture reaches 311F, remove from heat. Pluck out the vanilla bean pod, and pour the hot sugars into the whipping whites as rapidly as possible without collapsing the whites.
- 6Move a propane torch constantly over the outside of the bowl to keep the nougat hot and remove more water. Continue wipping, while applying the torch, for 2 minutes longer. Caution: Do not stop moving the toruch for even 2 seconds or the nougat will burn.
- 7Add the melted cocoa butter. The nougat will seperate momentarily but will return to a smooth state within a minute.
- 8Remove the bowl of toasted almonds from the warm oven and scape the nougat into it. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, pretected with rubber gloves, mix the almonds into the nougat.
- 9Spread the nougat on a parchment using an offset spatula, spread as evenly as posible.
- 10place another piece of parcment ontop. Using a clean rolling pin, roll lightly to flatten the nougat.
- 11Allow to cool completely or store over night.
- 12Break into the desired irregular size pieces. Protect from humidity.