Norma's Christmas Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 3 1/2 c
- confectioners sugar
- 1/4 c
- butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp
- creme de menthe or mint flavoring
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- pure vanilla extract
- maraschino cherries with stems, drained and patted dry
- 12 ounce bag of white chocolate chips
- 7 oz
- melted red candy wafers
- 7 oz
- melted green candy wafers
- * candy melts usually come in a 14 ounce bag.
How to Make Norma's Christmas Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 1Line two baking sheetss with waxed paper and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine confectioners sugar, butter, flavoring, milk and vanilla. Mix well amd place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 3Drain and pat dry the maraschino cherries being careful not to pull off the stems.
- 4Remove mixture for refrigerator and mold a small amount around each cherry, being careful to completely enclose cherry with mixture. Place on baking sheets and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 5In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt white chocolate chips while stirring with a wooden spoon. Or place in a microwave safe bowl and microwace for 30 seconds at a time and take out and stir until melted; being careful not to burn.
- 6Remove covered cherries from the refrigerator and dip them one at a time into melted white choclate and return them to the waxed paper.
- 7Allow dipped cherries to sit at room temperature until chocolate hardens.
- 8Check bottons of each cherry and reseal with additional white chocolate if necessary.
- 9When white choclate has hardened; drizzle tops of each cherry with melted red and green candy melts and let set at room temperature until all is set and hardened.
- 10Remove from baking sheets and cover loosely and store in a cool place at least two days to form cordial (do not refrigerate).
- 11Place in airtight containers until ready to serve.