I gave candy parties for many years with my fondant chocolates. I made these at the same time as the Chocolate Dipping Recipe was the same and it was a convenient truth! My fondant recipe is posted as well.
- 3/4 c
- mashed potatoes (no substitutes)
- 1 stick
- 1 tsp
- 1 pkg
- coconut, shredded, economy size
- 2 pkg
- confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 large
- package ghiradelli chocolate bits
- semi-sweet baking chocolate squares, ghiradelli
- cake paraffin wax
How to Make Needhams
- 1Boil a couple of potatoes, let cool completely and mash, making sure there are no lumps.
Add salt and coconut to cooled potato mixture along with the melted butter. Slowly add the confectionery sugar and vanilla next into the potato mixture. Spread mixture on cookie sheet that has been buttered.
- 2Let set to firm up in cool dry place such as refrigerator or just outside in winter cold temperatures, covered. After needhams have completely cooled and set or firmed up (not frozen)have your 'Dipping Chocolate" ready in a double boiler.
- 3Let ingredients melt in double boiler - probably will take over low heat about 2 hours. Use a candy dipping stick or a very large needle to dip each piece of candy after you have cut candy into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces. Put candy after dipping on wax paper until set. Keep candy in covered container in refrigerator or in gift giving boxes/containers. Keep refrigerated!