Nana's Cream Candy (pulled Taffy)
How to Make Nana's Cream Candy (pulled Taffy)
- 1Put all ingredients except the vanilla (or whatever flavor you use) and butter into a heavy sauce pan.
- 2Bring your taffy to a boil over medium high heat. Let it keep on a boiling until your candy thermometer reaches 258 degrees. This should take about 35-40 minutes. (if you put a bit of taffy on a spoon and run some cold water over the top it should look kind of stiff if it is ready to go..over cooking makes it hard to pull and under cooking makes it too sticky to pull)
- 3Remove taffy from heat and add vanilla. Then add butter and stir until all the butter has melted.
- 4Butter a cookie sheet and Pour the taffy onto the sheet (it should be a golden yellowish color)
- 5Let taffy cool until it is cool enough to handle. Now pinch taffy on sheet into about 12 seperate sections. (little circlish shapes on the sheet)
- 6When the candy is cool enough to pick up everyone gets a piece and it is time to start pulling and folding. Pull and stretch the taffy and then fold it into itself. pull and fold over and over until your taffy is a nice white color.
- 7Now stretch these pieces into ropes and put on wax paper. Now break it into pieces and wrap in wax paper twisted at edges. (A grandma tip: hold rope in palm of your hand and tap it with the back end of a butter knife or similiar object. this should break the taffy easily.
- 8Note: If adding food coloring to taffy add it at the same time you add the flavoring.