MOM'S PANOCHA NUT ROLL
How to Make MOM'S PANOCHA NUT ROLL
- 1In a large saucepan, combine sugars, corn syrup and evaporated milk.
- 2Cook over medium/medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches soft ball stage, 235-240ºF (112-116ºC). (Soft-ball stage is when a small amount of sugar syrup is dropped into very cold water and it forms a ball that does not hold its shape when pressed with your fingers.)
- 3Cool room temperature, without stirring, until lukewarm.
- 4Use a heavy duty wooden spoon to beat the mixture until it holds it's shape.
- 5Knead cooled mixture until firm, keeping hands well greased.
- 6Divide mixture in half; shape into two logs/rolls 1 1/2 inches in diameter. (Roll on a lightly greased board or greased cookie sheet.)
- 7Roll logs in pecans, pressing nutmeats firmly into candy.
- 8Wrap each log individually in aluminum foil or waxed paper; chill.
- 9Slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Store in airtight container.