MOM'S PANOCHA NUT ROLL
2 cgranulated sugar
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 clight corn syrup
1 cevaporated milk
1 1/2 cchopped pecans
·butter for hands while kneading
How to Make MOM'S PANOCHA NUT ROLL
- In a large saucepan, combine sugars, corn syrup and evaporated milk.
- Cook over medium/medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches soft ball stage, 235-240ºF (112-116ºC). (Soft-ball stage is when a small amount of sugar syrup is dropped into very cold water and it forms a ball that does not hold its shape when pressed with your fingers.)
- Cool room temperature, without stirring, until lukewarm.
- Use a heavy duty wooden spoon to beat the mixture until it holds it's shape.
- Knead cooled mixture until firm, keeping hands well greased.
- Divide mixture in half; shape into two logs/rolls 1 1/2 inches in diameter. (Roll on a lightly greased board or greased cookie sheet.)
- Roll logs in pecans, pressing nutmeats firmly into candy.
- Wrap each log individually in aluminum foil or waxed paper; chill.
- Slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Store in airtight container.