kaju burfi (cashew fudge)
I figure out the size and shape I'm going to cut these into and place a whole cashew nut on top of each piece while still warm. I sometimes roll it into little balls while still warm and roll them in the cashew powder or in coconut powder, I love these little treats
How to Make kaju burfi (cashew fudge)
- Grind the cashew nuts to powder. Coffee grinder works best.
- on very low heat in a heavy bottom pan roast the cashew powder for about 4 minutes or until powder just gets warm. do not heat for any longer or it will start getting oily.
- in a sauce pan , boil sugar and water together on medium heat until syrup is 1 thread or 225* on a candy thermometer.
- next add the saffron to the syrup and mix well (saffron is optional)
- add the cashew powder to the syrup and mix well, making sure there are no lumps.
- to check the right consistency take a little mix in a spoon, you should be able to roll this into a soft ball.
- next spread the mix quickly into a greased dish , spread before the mix cools off.
- allow to cool, then cut into desired shapes, and enjoy!
- Grind small portions at a time if you grind for too long the nuts will start getting oily.
Store at room temperature for a week or in the fridge for longer.
If the mix remains soft , you can cook on low for a few minutes.
If it is too dry add boiling water a spoon at a time, making sure it comes to right consistency.
You can't really go wrong.