Blue Ribbon Recipe
The mashed potatoes had me a little nervous as we were putting these together, but the end result is simply to-die-for! If you like coconut, you will LOVE these sweet gems. The Test Kitchen
How to Make Irish Gems
- Blend together mashed potatoes and sugar. Add coconut, vanilla and salt.
- Drop from tsp onto wax paper or greased cookie sheet. Shape into peaks. Let stand uncovered 30 minutes.
- Melt in saucepan over very low heat, chocolate chips and paraffin.
- Using a teaspoon, pour chocolate mixture over peaks of candy. Cool.
- Makes approximately 4 dozen.
- Note: I usually add about 2 cups of chopped pecans.
- Note: If you shape the mixture around an almond and dip the ball in the chocolate you have a mini faux Almond Joy!