Holiday Chocolate Caramel Apples
Stephanie Van Den Berg
I love caramel apples. But never had one layered with all these delicious flavors and then topped with candy and sprinkles. They were delicious! These would make great gifts and would look lovely set out on a holiday table.
I could not find a block of caramel so I used some caramel candy instead. Worked great!
- very large apples, gala, envy, pacific rose. about 8 oz. each
- 2 1/2 lb
- block caramel, I use Peter's
- 2 lb
- chocolate cand-quik
- 1/2 lb
- white candi-quik
- 1 pkg
- holiday M&M's
- 1 pkg
- Heath toffee bits
- 1 bottle
- holiday sprinkles of choice-I used snowflakes and holly
- 7" caramel apple sticks
- goodie bags and ribbon
- muffin top papers
How to Make Holiday Chocolate Caramel Apples
- 1In a large double boiler melt caramel over medium heat. This will take about 45 minutes when using block caramel.
- 2While caramel is melting, wash apples and remove labels and stem. Dry well. Place sticks into top of apple. Push down firmly but do not go through bottom of apple. Set aside.
Prepare Candi-Quik by breaking into smaller pieces.
- 3Place parchment paper on counter top, table or tray.
When caramel is melted dip each apple up to stem area. Twirl to remove excess caramel. Transfer to parchment paper. Let set so caramel can harden about 30-45 minutes.
While caramel is setting up, melt chocolate Candi-Quik in double boiler over medium-low heat. Be careful not to overheat or you will end up with "dull" chocolate.
- 4Pick apples up and trim excess caramel off the bottom where it has pooled. Kitchen shears work very well for this task. Place excess caramel back into double boiler for later use.
Dip each apple into chocolate, twirl to remove excess chocolate. Set on clean sheets of parchment.
While chocolate is setting up, melt white Candi-Quik in double boiler.
- 5Drizzle white chocolate onto one apple at a time and working quickly, sprinkle liberally with toffee bits. Place M&M's on wet chocolate. Sprinkle with decorative sprinkles. Repeat until all apples are completed.
- 6Place apple in a muffin top paper or pastry cups (found at Candy/Cake decor supply) Place apple into goody bag. Secure around stick with twisty tie, then tie with ribbon. Store in refrigerator for up to five days.
- 7Remove from refrigerator and allow to warm up a bit at room temperature before cutting into wedges.