★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 cwhole almonds
2 c(1 lb) butter or margarine (i use half of each)
2 1/2 csugar
18 oz hershey bar (no nuts)
How to Make English Toffee
- Spread almonds in baking sheet and toast in 350 degree oven for ten minutes. Cool and chop
- Lightly butter 2 cookie sheets
- Combine butter and sugar in heavy deep pan. Cook - medium heat- till it boils, stirring to blend. Then cover with a tight lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Uncover - put candy thermometer in pot - continue cooking, stirring occasionally till candy reaches 290 degrees. Pour IMMEDIATELY onto cookie sheets.
- Break hershey up and scatter over top of candy - spread as it melts. Sprinkle with chopped almonds.
Cool in refrigerator.
Break and store in tight lidded container.