How to Make English Toffee
- Melt butter in pot on stove. Add sugar and almonds. Mix well with a wire whisk. Best to slow cook over medium heat. Continue to mix well with the wire whisk and cook until mixture reaches 300° on a candy thermometer.
- Pour mixture into 13 x 9 inch cookie sheet. Spread with spatula so mixture fills entire cookie sheet. Set in dry place to completely cool. Do not let it cool in refrigerator!!!!
- After candy has completely cooled, leave the candy in the cookie sheet and take either an ice cream scoop or a meat tenderizer and lightly hit the candy in random spots. This will set cracks to make it easier to break the candy into small pieces when it is done.
- Take ½ pound Hershey’s Milk Chocolate and melt. Best to melt in microwave for about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds (but, be careful so the chocolate does not burn). Spread melted chocolate all over first side of candy and sprinkle liberally with finely chopped pecans. Set in dry place to completely cool, but as before, do not cool in refrigerator.
- After chocolate has solidified, take a second cookie sheet and put it over the one with the candy in it. Holding the cookie sheets together tightly, flip the cookie sheets over so that the candy flips into the second cookie sheet, bare side up. Take another ½ pound of Hershey Milk Chocolate and melt. Spread all over candy and sprinkle liberally with finely chopped pecans. Set in dry place to cool. Break into pieces and enjoy.
- Note: You can take the crumbs when the candy is gone and use them as a toffee topping for ice cream.