★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 c
- brown sugar
- 1 c
- honey or karo syrup
- 2 c
- light cream, or one can evap milk or one can sweetened cond. milk
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c
- dates, chopped and rolled in sugar
- 3 c
- chopped nuts, i used almonds and cashews toasted abt 15minutes in the oven and cooled
- 1 pkg
- lg package sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 c
- walnuts chopped fine
How to Make date and nut caramel
- 1use a 3quart heavy sauce pan. and also butter a large pan that will hold it afterward
have all nuts, and dates prepared ahead of time.
add brown sugar, add honey and the milk form you choose...the sweetened condensed milk gives the shortest cooking time about 10 minutes.
stir and bring to a boil
- 2stir well while everything mixes and bring to a boil.
add a candy thermometer and cook on med. heat till till it reaches 248 degrees
turn off heat
- 3add vanilla,
add coconut one cup at a time
add dates that have been chopped with a little sugar to keep from sticking.
add the almonds and cashews. stir well after each addition
pour onto the butter pan and cool
When cool enough to handle I take pieces about 8 ounces each and make into rolls.
this should still be a little sticky.
roll the rolls into the chopped walnuts.
then can wrap each in plastic wrap.
you can freeze this if you want and just slice when you want to serve it.
I freeze things like this because it is so good I can't stop eating it. When it is out I continue to eat it.
I store it in a quart zip lock bag.