Dad & Mom Johnson's Creamy Peanut Butter Candy
How to Make Dad & Mom Johnson's Creamy Peanut Butter Candy
- 1Utensils needed:
heavy duty (cast iron best) fry pan or heavy duty stainless steel or non-stick fry pan; 8"-9" round pie or cake pan; whisk; glass measuring cup; wooden spoon; teaspoon; spatula; saran wrap; sharp knife; heavy duty pot holders.
- 2Set aside one cupful of cold water in a glass measuring cup, and a teaspoon to use for finding out "soft ball" stage. (You may want to set aside 2 cups of cold water, just in case first test is not ready yet. Do not re-use same cup of cold water you tested in first time).
- 3In heavy-duty (cast iron best) fry pan, or heavy bottomed stainless steel or non-stick fry pan, mix the following together:
- 42 C sugar, 1/2 C milk, 1 TBSP butter, and 1/2 TSP salt
- 5On medium-high heat, cook and stir mixture with whisk, or wooden spoon, UNTIL boiling.
- 6Continue boiling WITHOUT STIRRING, until mixture reaches "soft ball" stage. Quickly do the following:
- 7Test to find "soft ball" stage: use a teaspoon to take a pinch of boiling mixture and drop into the cup of cold water. If the mixture forms a "soft ball" while dropping to bottom of cup, it is ready. It if is NOT, re-test in 2nd cup of cold water set aside earlier.
- 8When at "soft ball" stage,quickly and carefully remove from heat. IT IS HOT!
Immediately, using a spatula or wooden spoon, ADD the 1 C of peanut butter, stirring into mixture.
- 9Immediately, pour into prepared buttered pan (8"-9" round pie or cake pan)will do fine.
- 10At this point you can add your choice of chopped nuts, sprinkling on top.
- 11Cool in pan, then cut into 1" squares with sharp knife.
Enjoy. Disappears fast.
To store, cover with plastic wrap and do not refrigerate.