How to Make Cream Caramels
- 1Have at the ready: candy thermometer, lid for sauce pot, deep ice bath (I use my sink), and buttered 13x9 with a kitchen towel next to it.
- 3In a bowl, microwave cream and butter until hot. Add the vanilla bean after it is hot, and let stand in microwave.
- 5Uncover, lower cooking temperature to medium. Cook until the sugar mixture reaches 320 degrees. This is when your sugar will caramelize and begin to change color.
- 6When the sugar has become the color you like, add the hot cream/butter/vanilla bean mixture, slowly, 1/3 at a time. Stir only with your thermometer.
- 7Continue to cook until temperature reaches 243 degrees.
- 8Immediately dunk the bottom of your pot into the ice bath. This must be done rapidly, so as only to stop the cooking process but not cool your caramel so much that it won't pour. 1 or 2 seconds at the most.
- 9Pour into buttered dish, making sure not to drip any water onto the caramel (this is where the kitchen towel comes in). Remove the vanilla bean with candy thermometer.
- 10Cool at room temperature for 2-3 hours. Turn 13x9 upside down onto silpat or buttered parchment. Cut into bite-sized pieces, wrap in parchment or plastic wrap to keep. These freeze quite well.