Christmas Date Nut Candy
A roll of this candy makes a great gift (rolled in non-terry towel with design for the occasion).
Haven't made this in years, so not sure about prep/cook time. I would allow at least an hour to complete all steps.
- 7 c
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 c
- nuts (crushed)
- 1 lb
- pitted dates
- 1 tsp
- dutch oven or very large sauce pan
- several non-terry dish towels - wet - laid flat on counter (ready for candy)
- wooden or strong spoon
How to Make Christmas Date Nut Candy
- 1Bring Sugar, Butter and Milk to rolling/bubbling boil.
- 2Add dates, crushing against sides of pan (Tough!)
- 3Cook to Soft Ball stage. (Drop tiny bit in glass of cold water. When forms a soft ball - NOT hard - Remove from heat and BEAT until thick and pour-able.
- 4Work fast here.
Pour a long roll onto wet towel near long side, leaving space at each end. Fold ends in, and roll to other side. Put each roll in freezer
- 5Slice frozen (or close to it), and serve.