I gave this a difficulty rating of HARD because of the use of a candy thermometer and the fact that if you don't watch it closely, you can surpass the stage needed very easily.
How to Make Chocolate Toffee
- 1Grease a shallow 7 or 8-inch square pan.
- 2Put the sugar, butter, water and corn syrup in a large, heavy-based pan. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- 3Attach a sugar/candy making thermometer to the pan. Bring slowly to a boil and cook, for 10-15 minutes, without stirring, until the temperature reaches 250°F. If you do not have a sugar thermometer, test the toffee by dropping a small amount into cold water. It is ready when it reaches the soft crack stage (that's when it separates into threads that are hard and brittle).
- 4Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate. Stir gently until melted, then pour immediately into the prepared pan.
- 5When the toffee is starting to set, mark into squares with a sharp knife. Allow to set, then cut into squares when cold.