By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 1 c
- 2/3 c
- light corn syrup
- 1.5 c
- half and half
- 1.5 oz
- chocolate, unsweeted and melted
- 1.5 tsp
- vanilla extract
- "just a pinch" of salt
How to Make Chocolate Toffee
- 1Combine the sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup of cream in a large saucepan set over moderate heat.
- 2Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves completely.
- 3Insert a candy thermometer, reduce the heat to low, and cook the syrup, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 238.
- 4Blend in another 1/2 cup of the cream, which will cause the temperature to drop, and continue to cook and stir until the thermometer reaches 236 or until a bit of the hot toffee dropped into a little cold water forms a soft, pliable ball.
- 5Mix in the remaining 1/2 cup cream and the melted chocolate.
- 6Cook the toffee, stirring constantly, lest it scorch.
- 7Cook toffee until the mixture becomes quite thick: A drop of it should firm up quickly in cold water.
- 8NOTE: Even though the temperature of the toffee may not exceed 230, if it firms in cold water, remove the pan from the heat at once.
- 9Quickly mix in the vanilla and salt, then pour the toffee into a well-buttered 8x8x2 inch pan.
- 10Cool the toffee completely, then cut it into 1-inch squares.
- 11Wrap each one in waxed paper or plastic wrap.