CHOCOLATE FUDGE (Marie's Old-Fashioned)
- 2 oz
- unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 c
- evaporated milk
- 2 c
- white granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- light corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp
- salted butter plus extra for greasing 8"x8" pan
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
How to Make CHOCOLATE FUDGE (Marie's Old-Fashioned)
- 1Chop chocolate into small pieces; add chocolate to 2 quart nonreactive saucepan.
- 2To the chocolate in saucepan, add evaporated milk, sugar and corn syrup.
- 3Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and chocolate is melted.
- 4Heat to boiling; cover and cook 3 minutes. (Steam in covered pan will help wash down crystals on sides of pan.)
- 5Uncover and cook to softball stage, 235-240ºF (112-116ºC) stirring the mixture frequently. (Soft-ball stage is when a small amount of sugar syrup is dropped into very cold water and it forms a ball that does not hold its shape when pressed with your fingers.)
- 6Remove from heat; add 2 tablespoons butter and allow to cool, undisturbed, to lukewarm. (May place pan in cold water to speed cooling. It is very important to not allow any water to come into contact with the chocolate, and very important not to stir until cooled.)
- 7While mixture cools, lightly grease 8"x8" or 9"x9" pan or baking dish.
- 8Add 1 teaspoon vanilla to mixture when cool.
- 9With sturdy, wooden spoon, beat mixture by hand until thickened, but not too stiff to pour.
- 10Pour into prepared pan/dish and smooth to level.
- 11When firm, loosen from pan and turn out onto wax paper.
- 12Cut into bite-sized pieces .
- 13Keep covered or in an airtight container.