Chocolate Covered Cherries
1 jar(s)maraschino cherries (reserving 1/4 cup juice)
1/4 cbutter softened
3 1/2 cpowdered sugar
16 ozsemisweet chocolate chips
2 tspcoconut oil or shortening
4 ozwhite chocolate chips (optional)
4 ozdark chocolate chips (optional)
How to Make Chocolate Covered Cherries
- Lay the cherries out on paper towels. Dab them dry several times with paper towels and let them sit will you start the rest of the recipe.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer combine the butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, and 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice. Add the last cup of powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time until the mixture pulls away from the side and forms a soft ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll in a little less than 1 inch balls and flatten with the palms of your hands. Add the cherry to the center pulling up the fondant around the cherry. Roll it into a smooth ball and place on a parchment covered rimmed baking sheet. Continue until all the fondant is rolled up around the cherries placing them about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate and coconut oil for dipping the cherries according to the instructions on the package of chocolate. Using a fork carefully dip the cherries in the chocolate. Gently sliding them off the fork using a table knife onto a parchment covered sheet. Let them sit until the chocolate sets.
- If desired melt white chocolate and drizzle over the cherries. For an over the top presentation melt the dark chocolate and drizzle over the cherries too.