Cherry Swirl Mellows
Vanessa "Nikita" Milare
How to Make Cherry Swirl Mellows
- First using a pastry brush,coat a 13x9 inch glass baking dish with oil. Then line dish with parchment paper. Make sure paper covers sides of the dish. Then brush the paper with oil.
- Next pour 1/2 cup of the water into a large bowl. Then sprinkle the geltain over the water & let stand for about 5 mins to soften.
- Next in a 2 quart saucepan mixthe remaming 1/2 cup water,sugar,cherry jam, syrup & salt together. Heat over high heat, make sure to stir frequently. Then boil without stirring until mixture reaches 240F (soft-ball stage) on the candy/deep fry thermometer or until small amount of mixture drops into the cup of very cold water forms a ball that holds the shape but is pilble.
- Then carefully pour the cherry mixture into a large bowl. Then mix with a eletric mixer with the whisk attachment on low speed until mixture is slightly cooled. Then gradually increase the speed tomedium-high speed. Beat for about 20 to 30 mins or until mixture is completely cool & peaks form.
- Next pour the mixture into the baking dish. Then sprinkle a few drops of the food coloring on top & use a sharpe knife to make the swirl the color into mixture. Do not over swirl. Then let stand uncovered for about 4 hours or until firm.
- Then sprinkle a cutting board or your work space with about 1 Tbsp. ofthe powdered sugar. Then carefully invert the baking dish carefully onto the board to remove from pan. Using a well oiled knife cut the marshmallows into 1 1/2 inch squares. Then in a medium bowl of powdered sugar lightly toss the mellows to coat. Then shake off the excess sugar. Store in a airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.