Cherry Cordials (Chocolate Covered Cherries)
Portions of this recipe adopted from cooks.com and Veronica's Cornucopia
- 2 jar(s)
- (10 oz ea) maraschino cherries
- 1/4 c
- butter (softened)
- 2 1/4 c
- powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp
- almond extract
- 1 lb
- chocolate bark candy coating, melted
- pair uncoated surgical gloves
- (available at any pharmacy or walmart)
How to Make Cherry Cordials (Chocolate Covered Cherries)
- 1Drain the cherries, reserving the juice. Shake them out well in a colander (do not rinse). Set aside on a double layer of paper towels.
- 2Fondant: Cream the butter with 1 cup of the powdered sugar; then add 2 Tablespoon milk, the extracts, and the remaining sugar; stir until well mixed. (You want a soft dough like mixture).
- 3Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Wearing uncoated surgical gloves, take small pieces of fondant (about 1 or 2 teaspoons) and press them flat on your palms. Wrap around the cherries, pinching off the excess before rolling them smooth and placing on the wax paper. Repeat until all cherries are covered with the fondant. Place in the (freezer) until well chilled or slightly frozen.
- 4Using a double broiler, melt the chocolate until smooth. Dip each cherry in the chocolate using a curved meat fork, drawing the fork across the rim of the pan to remove excess coating. Drop coated cherry upside down onto waxed paper, swirling a thread of coating from the fork across the top for a decorative touch. Once all are coated, place in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set; check bottoms and reseal with additional melted coating, if necessary. You want every part of the center covered or it will start to leak out as it liquefies. Store in a cool place (not the refrigerator) for 2 weeks to form cordial.
- 5Note: If you prefer a red fondant use 1 Tablespoon reserved cherry juice in place of 1 Tablespoon of milk.