Capt. Rick's Chocolate Caramel Fudge
I have been working on this recipe for a while; according to the guys at the Durham VA Hospital and the ladies at the Raleigh Moose Lodge I have finally got it right. I buy caramel by the 5lb brick but you can buy 2 14oz bags of Kraft Caramels or some other brand, you need a total of l6ozs of caramel.
Make sure you use evaporated milk not condensed.
- 8 oz
- dark or milk chocolate chips or morsels
- 16 oz
- caramel (un-wrapped)
- 1 can(s)
- (12 oz) evaportaed milk
- 2 c
- white sugar
- 1/2 c
- (1 stick) butter cut into chunks
- 1 3/5 c
- mini marshmallows
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp
How to Make Capt. Rick's Chocolate Caramel Fudge
- 1Prepare an 8" X 8" glass or non-stick baking pan. Cut a piece of foil wide enough to cover the bottom of the pan and long enough to go up two sides with a little left over. This will make it easy to remove the fudge from the pan when set. Use a little extra butter to lightly grease the top of the foil and the two exposed sides of the pan. Do not use cooking spray
- 2Make the caramel sauce by placing caramel and 1oz of evaporated milk in a microwave safe bowl, melt on medium heat for short periods being very careful not to overheat the mixture. Melt the mixture and continue to stir until completely mixed. Set caramel sauce aside for now.
- 3In a heavy bottomed 2 quart saucepan combine the sugar, 2/3 cup evaporated milk, marshmallows, butter and salt.
Stirring constantly over medium/high heat bring to a boil and continue to boil for an additional 5 minutes (this is important, do not boil for more than 5 minutes or less than 4).
Remove from heat and add in the vanilla and chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is completely combined.
- 4Pour mixture into prepared pan, bang pan gently on table to remove any large air bubbles.
Pour the caramel mixture over the top of the fudge. Using a knife swirl the caramel into the fudge.
- 5Allow the fudge to come to room temperature. Now place the pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set the fudge. Remove the pan from the frig, using the foil ends carefully remove the fudge from the pan. While the fudge is still cold use a large sharp knife to cut it into desired portions. Store leftover fudge in an airtight container in a cool dark place, do not keep in the frig.