Candied Lime Wheels
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
How to Make Candied Lime Wheels
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Spray baking rack with cooking spray and place on baking sheet.
- Using a knife or mandolin, slice limes into roughly 1/8 inch slices.
- Put lime wheels in pot and cover with water. Bring water to boil and strain.
- Cover lime wheels with water a second time, boil, strain, repeat, for a total of three boils. It's okay to stop at two boils if the membranes are starting to fall apart.
- Add to a clean pot the thrice-boiled lime wheels and an equal part by weight granulated sugar and a half-part clean water (for instance; 4oz limes, 4oz sugar, 2oz water).
- Boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until water is almost completely boiled away.
- Using tongs (sugar will be HOT) pull the lime wheels out and lay them across the baking rack and bake for 1hr, rotating the pan halfway through. You can let them go longer if you want the sugars to caramelize a bit.
- Remove from oven and toss/rub lime wheels with sugar while still hot so it can adhere. The extra sugar offsets the rind and allows them to be stored together without sticking.