How to Make Butterscotch-Chocolate Divinity
- 1Note: Pay attention when making the syrup. Make sure that the temperature does not go above 255 degrees or you will not be able to use it. The syrup should remain clear and not turn gold or brown.
- 2Line 2 or 3 baking sheets with buttered wax paper; set aside. Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Wash down side of pan frequently with pastry brush dipped in hot water to remove sugar crystals. Add candy thermometer (do not let bulb touch bottom of pan). Continue cooking mixture until mixture reaches the hard ball stage of 255 degrees.
- 3Meanwhile beat egg whites and cream of tarter with electric mixer until stiff, but not dry. Slowly pour hot syrup into egg whites, beating constantly. Add vanilla; beat until candy forms soft peaks and starts to lose its gloss.
- 4Stir in both kinds of chips and nuts. Immediately drop tablespoons of candy in mounds on prepared baking sheets.
- 5Store in refrigerator in airtight containers between layers of waxed paper. You can also freeze these up to 3 months.