Plan accordingly though, as these mints require one to two days drying time before they're ready to enjoy.
1/2 cupsalted butter, softened (if you use unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt with butter in step #2)
1 lbbox confectioners' sugar
1 to 2 Tbspcream or milk
1 tspmint extract
·pink and green food coloring (optional)
·confectioners' sugar (for dusting work surface)
How to Make Butter Mints
- Line two baking sheets with non-stick foil (but don't butter, grease or spray the foil). Set the baking sheets aside.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter in a bowl until creamy. Turn mixer speed to low, and beat in the 1-lb of powdered sugar, 1 tbsp cream, and extract, and beat on low speed just until the sugar is fully incorporated. Then increase speed to medium and beat, adding addition cream if needed (1 teaspoon at a time), until it's smooth and silky.
- Lightly dust a flat work surface with confectioners' sugar. Turn the candy mixture onto the work surface, and knead until smooth and silky.
- If you want different colors of mints, divide the candy mixture. (It's best to wear disposable plastic gloves to keep the food coloring from dyeing your hands, and use a different pair of gloves for each color in order to keep the colors from blending together.) Add a drop or two of food coloring to one portion of the candy, and knead it to evenly blend the food coloring throughout the candy. Wrap the portions you're not working with in plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- To make the classic "pillow" shaped mints, roll a palm-sized portion of dough into long thin (about 1/2-inch thick) logs on the dusted work surface. With kitchen shears, cut into 1/2-inch "pillows". Use a spatula to transfer mints to the baking sheets. Be careful, as the mints are soft and will squish easily. Repeat with remaining candy.
- Set baking sheets aside for 1 to 2 days until completely dry and firm enough to handle without being squished. Transfer mints to a covered container. They'll store well for up to 2 weeks or in the refrigerator for 1 month.