Aplets, Cotlets, Grapelets and others
You can use different types of nuts, or leave them out altogether for those who can't eat them.
- 3 Tbsp
- unflavored gelatin (knox or store brand)
- 3 c
- apple, grape, or other juice
- 1 1/3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp
- lime juice
- 2/3 c
- cornstarch, divided
- 2 c
- walnuts, chopped
- 1 c
- confectioners' sugar
How to Make Aplets, Cotlets, Grapelets and others
- 1Soften the gelatin in 1/2 of the juice. Boil the remaining juice and sugar to concentrate it, about 15 min.
- 2Reserve 1/4 cup of cornstarch and mix the rest with the lemon and lime juices, and then add the gelatin mixture.
- 3Add to the boiled juice and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Test the sweetness, adding more lemon juice if needed.
- 4Mix in nuts.
- 5Pour into a 9"x9"x2" baking pan, lightly greased, lined with waxed paper, parchment or plastic wrap.
Cover to protect from dust or bugs.
- 6Let harden overnight or about 12 hours. Cut into 1" squares using a pizza cutter.
- 7Remove squares with a spatula and roll in the sugar mixture (the cornstarch keeps the sugar dry).
- 8Roll again before serving, or gift-giving, if needed.