Aplets, Cotlets, Grapelets and others
You can use different types of nuts, or leave them out altogether for those who can't eat them.
3 Tbspunflavored gelatin (knox or store brand)
3 capple, grape, or other juice
1 1/3 csugar
2 Tbsplemon juice
2 Tbsplime juice
2/3 ccornstarch, divided
2 cwalnuts, chopped
1 cconfectioners' sugar
How to Make Aplets, Cotlets, Grapelets and others
- Soften the gelatin in 1/2 of the juice. Boil the remaining juice and sugar to concentrate it, about 15 min.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of cornstarch and mix the rest with the lemon and lime juices, and then add the gelatin mixture.
- Add to the boiled juice and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Test the sweetness, adding more lemon juice if needed.
- Mix in nuts.
- Pour into a 9"x9"x2" baking pan, lightly greased, lined with waxed paper, parchment or plastic wrap.
Cover to protect from dust or bugs.
- Let harden overnight or about 12 hours. Cut into 1" squares using a pizza cutter.
- Remove squares with a spatula and roll in the sugar mixture (the cornstarch keeps the sugar dry).
- Roll again before serving, or gift-giving, if needed.