Zeppole di San Giuseppe
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 2 stick
- butter, unsalted
- 2 c
- 2 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- pure vanilla extract
- custard (see below)
- custard filling recipe (see link in comments)
- cherry pie filling, marachino cherries or preserved wild cherries
- powdered sugar
How to Make Zeppole di San Giuseppe
- 1Preheat oven at 400 F.
- 2Place the water, salt, sugar and butter in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3Remove the pan from the heat and dump the flour in all at once, whisking it all in.
- 4Return to the burner start stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 5Cook, stirring constantly, until the dough starts to pull easily from the sides of the pan and forms a ball, about 3 minutes.
- 6Remove from the heat and stir until tepid, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 7Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring in each one completely before adding the next.
- 8Stir in the vanilla. Cool completely.
- 9Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place the dough into a pastry bag with a 1-inch star tip and pipe 2-inch rings onto the trays, as many as can fit.
- 10Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, then at 375 F for 15-20 minutes until evenly browned. Remove and let cool.
- 11When cool, carefully slice rings in half and scoop out eggy wet dough. Fill with custard and place cap of pastry on top.
- 12Top each zeppole with custard in middle and top with cherry. Sprinkle Powdered sugar on top.
- 13NOTE: You can also fry this dough in oil after you pipe them until golden brown and then just fill the middle of the rings with custard and top with a cherry filling, preserved wild cherries or a maraschino cherry.