These do take a bit of time and labor to finish, but they are so yummy! Personalize the recipe with your own flavors of cake mix, filling and shapes, it will be fun!
- 1 box
- yellow cake mix (with required ingredients to bake)
- 1 tsp
- unflavored gelatin
- 4 tsp
- cold water
- 1 c
- very cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 c
- confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla or almond extract
- 16 oz
- vanilla almond bark
- 8 Tbsp
- vegetable shortening
- 1/2 to 3/4 c
- chocolate chips or melting chocolate
COATING AND DRIZZLE
How to Make Zebra Cakes
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees & grease and flour a 10x15x1 baking pan.
Prepare cake as directed and spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake about 17-20 minutes, until cake bounces back slightly when pressed in the center.
Allow cake to cool completely before using a cookie cutter or other uniform cutting tool to cut out the cake pieces.
- 2While the cake is baking and cooling, prepare the filling.
Combine gelatin and cold water in a small saucepan. Let it rest until it is thick, then over low heat, stir constantly until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
In a bowl that has been in the freezer for at least 5 minutes, beat the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla/almond extract until it starts to thicken. On slow speed on the mixer, slowly add the gelatin to the mix.
Beat on highest speed on mixer until filling is stiff.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3When cake is cooled, using a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut out an even number of pieces, as many as you can.
Cut each piece in an even half lengthwise and place a layer of frosting on the bottom half. Gently press the top half onto the frosting so it comes to the edges without overflowing.
- 4In a double boiler (or in the microwave if you prefer) melt together your vanilla almond bark and shortening, stirring frequently (especially if melting in the microwave).
Once it is melted, pour some onto a plate and keep the rest in the boiler or bowl. Set each filled cake onto the plate with the bark and then carefully spoon over the melted bark from the bowl, so it coats the top and sides.
Gently lift with a fork from the bottom and gently set on waxed paper to cool.
Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until the topping is set, then melt the chocolate chips/melting chocolate and drizzle over top.
Because this recipe uses whipped cream filling, the do need to be kept in the fridge.
- 5Marshmallow Fluff Filling:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup marshmallow fluff
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1-2 Tbsp whipping cream
In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, vanilla and marshmallow fluff until well combined and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat on a low speed until mixed. Add the whipping cream, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating on high until the filling is very light and fluffy.
- 6This is the modeled after the Little Debbie Zebra Cakes, it would not be difficult to modify this recipe to fit personal taste.
I personally plan on using different cake mixes and adding different flavor extracts into my filling. It will be fun!