Zebra Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze
It looks like a zebra print when sliced, really very unique.
We took this cake to our dentist office on Valentine's Day as a special treat for them. They do a great job in taking care of us and we wanted to let them know how much we appreciate them. They dug into it just minutes after we arrived and boy the rave reviews we got!
I've made a few changes from the original recipe.
Adapted from Overtimecook
3 ccake flour
2 tspbaking powder
2 1/2 csugar
1/2 ccocoa powder
1 cbutter (2 sticks) melted
1/2 ccrisco shortening (solid) melted
1 1/2 tspvanilla extract
5 largeeggs, room temperture
2 ozsemi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped fine
1 Tbspcorn syrup, light
1/4 cheavy cream
How to Make Zebra Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan. NOTE: I used a 10 to 15 cup bundt pan.
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk to mix together; set aside.
- In another bowl or large mixing cup; combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa and 6 tablespoons water. stir to make paste; set aside.
- Melt butter and crisco together; cool.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream the cooled butter/crisco mixer with remaining 2 cups of sugar. Add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well (but not over beating) after each addition. NOTE: Overbeating eggs can lead to a dry cake.
- Remove 2 heaping cups of the batter and mix into the chocolate mixture.
- To get the zebra effect; using a cookie scoop, start with 1 scoop of the white batter and then add 1 scoop of the chocolate into the middle of the white batter. Repeat layering, always placing the next scoop batter into the middle of the last scoop of batter. Keep layering until you have used up all the batter.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Test with a toothpick or cake tester to ensure it's done. Insert tester in center of cake, it's done when the tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; cool.
Invert onto plate and add glaze.
- In a small sauce pan combine the heavy cream and sugar; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until very hot (but not boiling) and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Whisk until chocolate has melted and mixture begins to thicken.
Drizzle over cake. Add candy sprinkles if desired.