World's BEST Sock-It-To-Me-Cake
For over 25 years, the only time I will eat this cake is if a family member bakes it or if I buy a slice from a true soul food restaurant. Please do not attempt to buy this cake from your local grocery store or bake it using the recipe on the side of a cake box. You will be extremely disappointed.
I hope you love my family's recipe! Let me know. By the way, I love to eat this cake without the glaze.
3 ccake flour or self-rising flour-sifted
6 largeeggs, room temp
1 1/2 stickbutter
1 csour cream
2 Tbspcake batter, reserved
1 1/2 Tbspvanilla extract
1 1/2 cwalnuts, chopped
4 Tbspdark brown sugar
1 cpowdered sugar
2 Tbspevaporated milk
1 tspvanilla extract
1/4 ccanola oil
How to Make World's BEST Sock-It-To-Me-Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a large bundt or tube pan. Please make sure that the pan is buttered and floured very very well
- CAKE: In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1 1/2 sticks butter and sugar for about 3-5 minutes
- Add one egg at a time and beat in each egg lightly
- Add in the 1 1/2 tbsp of vanilla extract and oil/ mix
- Add 1 1/2 cup of flour and pinch of salt and beat well
- Beat in 1/2 cup of sour cream and mix well.
- Next, Add remaining flour and beat well.
- Add, the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream and beat well.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the pan and set aside.
- FILLING: In a medium bowl add walnuts, brown sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, 2 tbsp cake batter, and cinnamon. mix till well incorporated, but not creamed. It should clump together.
- Sprinkle all of the filling around the cake batter that is in the pan.
- Pour remaining cake batter on top of the filling.
- Tap the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles and bake for 1 hour 20 mins.
- Remove cake from pan and allow to slightly cool
- GLAZE: While cake is cooling, In a med size bowl, add powdered sugar, tsp of vanilla, and milk. Mix very well and pour over warm cake
- For those who are not too fond of baking but still want to try this cake. I recommend Duncan Hines Golden Butter Recipe cake mix. Use number of eggs according to box instructions .Add half a cup of sour cream and follow the rest of my directions exactly.