Whole Lemon Cake
READ THIS WHOLE RECIPE CAREFULLY BEFORE STARTING
2lemons washed and seeded (enough for 1/3 cup or more of juice)
1 cgolden raisins
1/3 cpecan or walnuts, chopped (i use what i have)
2 csifted flour or cake flour (i use all purpose)
1 1/8 tspsalt
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 1/8 tspbaking powder
1/12 cwhite sugar
1/2 cbutter (room temp.)
1 tsplemon extract
1/4 cadditional milk
1/3 cfresh lemon juice
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/4 cchopped pecans or walnuts
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350'
How to Make Whole Lemon Cake
- Preheat oven to 350'
Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan and set aside.
- Wash the lemon(s) and dry the fruit with a clean towel. Then cut in half, remove the seeds and juice. Set the juice aside. Cut the lemon into 8 pieces pulp and all (you are going to use the whole lemon so make them blemish free). Put the pieces of lemon in you food processor, and the raisins and pecans. Pulse them until both fruit and nuts are finely chopped. If you don't have a food processor chop by hand as finely as you can and set aside
- Place 1 cup of flour, the salt, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in your mixing bowl. Blend them together on low speed.
- Add the second cup of flour and blend it in on low speed.
- Add the lemon extract, butter and 3/4 cup of milk mix at low speed until moist. Then move the speed to medium and then high. Beat for two minutes on high then shut off the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Keep as much air in the batter as possible.
- Turn the mixer back on low and add eggs one at a time for two minutes. Add 1/3 cup of milk and beat on high for 2 minutes. Shut off the mixer and scrape the bowl. Keep as much air in the batter as possible.
- Fold in the fruit by hand being careful to keep the batter as fluffy as possible. Pour the batter into prepared cake pan(s) and smooth the top gently. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 to 50 minutes or the 8 inch layer cakes for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking make the topping to sprinkle over the warm cake.
1/3 c. fresh lemon (from the fresh lemon you juiced earlier) DO NOT add the ingredients below to the juice.
Mix the next three ingredients together and set aside.
1/2 c. sugar, 1 t. cinnamon, 1/4 c. chopped pecans
- Remove the cake from the oven and set it on a wire rack.
- Now drizzle the lemon juice over the hot cake.
NOTE: If I have more then 1/3 cup of juice I use it.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the cinnamon and sugar.
- Let the cake come to room temperature, then cover it and refrigerate. Cut and serve.
This cake also freezes well if wrapped and protected well.