White Russian Cupcakes
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is one of those recipes that will make you go "Hmmm..." trying to figure out the secret ingredient! The cakes are wonderfully rich and a real Crew favorite. The Test Kitchen
- 1 box
- white cake mix
- 1/3 c
- canola oil
- 3/4 c
- coffee liqueur (i used starbucks)
- 1/2 c
- whole milk
- 1 stick
- butter, unsalted
- 2 to 4 Tbsp
- whole milk
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract (i used nielsen-massey)
- 3 to 4 c
- powdered sugar
- your favorite chocolate that can be grated
How to Make White Russian Cupcakes
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, canola oil, coffee liquer and 1/2 cup of whole milk. Mix according to package directions.
- 2Line cupcake pans with liners of your choice. For the standard sized cupcakes, measure a scant 1/4 cup of batter per cupcake liner. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until done and when pressed in the center with index finger springs back instead of leaving an indentation.
- 3While cupcakes cool completely, mix frosting. Beat the butter until creamy. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low to combine. Add 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and beat well for 2 minutes. If the frosting is too runny and won't stand up to piping, add the other cup of powdered sugar. If frosting is too stiff, add milk, 1 tablespoon at the time, beating well after, until you reach the consistency you desire. The key to having a really good frosting is beating it at medium to high speed for at least 5 minutes.
- 4Once frosting is ready and cupcakes are cool, prepare your pastry bag with a 1M star tip, fill it with your frosting and apply to the cupcakes. After frosting the cupcakes, use a microplane to grate your favorite chocolate over the top to make them look pretty. If you like, you can also add a chocolate coated espresso bean at the top of each cupcake.