1/2 cplus 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 boxwhite cake mix
10 ozwater (whatever the box mix says to add)
1/4 cvegetable oil (whatever the box mix says to add)
3egg whites (whatever the box mix says to add)
1 pkgred-colored unsweeted soft drink mix (like kool-aid)
1 can(s)whipped fluffy white frosting
2/3 cgreen jellybeans (optional)
How to Make Watermelon Cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark or nonstick pans). Grease or spray two 8-9 inch round cake pans. In small bowl, toss 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the cake mix. In large bowl, beat remaining cake mix, the water, oil, egg whites and drink mix with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour batter into pans. Bake and cool as directed on box for the size pan you are using.
- Stir 1 cup of the frosting with 10-12 drops of green food coloring and with the rest of the frosting stir 10-12 drops of the red food coloring.
- When the cake is ready, stack the cakes on top of each other (like a layer cake) but don't frost the "between" layers.
Ice the top of the cake with the red frosting and the sides with the green frosting.
Then sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top.
- Note: I used cherry flavored Kool-aid mix and I also used a can of cherry frosting for the top so I didn't have to mix the frosting for red. But if you can find watermelon flavored drink mix that would be kinda neat for the flavor maybe!