Upside-Down Apple Cake
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 largegranny smith apples
3 Tbsplemon juice
1 Tbspapple pie spice
1/2 clight brown sugar, packed
12maraschino cherries no stem
16 ozbox pound cake mix
2 tspfresh orange zest
*MAY SUBSTITUTE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE FOR APPLE PIE SPICE.
How to Make Upside-Down Apple Cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 10" cast-iron or ovenproof skillet ready.
- Cut thin slices off top and bottom of each apple. Cut each apple crosswise in 4 thick slices. Cut out cores.
- Toss with lemon juice and spice till evenly coated.
- Melt butter in skillet. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar till well blended.
- Place a cherry in core hole of each apple slice. Arrange 11 slices, overlapping, around edge of skillet. Place remaining slices in middle.
- Prepare cake mix as package directs, adding the orange zest to batter. Pour over apples.
- Bake 45 min. or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top of cake is golden.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 30 min. Run knife around edge of cake to loosen. Invert cake onto serving plate.