Upside-Down Apple Cake
- 3 large
- granny smith apples
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp
- apple pie spice
- 6 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- light brown sugar, packed
- maraschino cherries no stem
- 16 oz
- box pound cake mix
- 2 tsp
- fresh orange zest
*MAY SUBSTITUTE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE FOR APPLE PIE SPICE.
How to Make Upside-Down Apple Cake
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 10" cast-iron or ovenproof skillet ready.
- 2Cut thin slices off top and bottom of each apple. Cut each apple crosswise in 4 thick slices. Cut out cores.
- 3Toss with lemon juice and spice till evenly coated.
- 4Melt butter in skillet. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar till well blended.
- 5Place a cherry in core hole of each apple slice. Arrange 11 slices, overlapping, around edge of skillet. Place remaining slices in middle.
- 6Prepare cake mix as package directs, adding the orange zest to batter. Pour over apples.
- 7Bake 45 min. or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top of cake is golden.
- 8Cool in pan on wire rack 30 min. Run knife around edge of cake to loosen. Invert cake onto serving plate.