Triple Chocolate Scones
★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 ozmilk chocolate, cut into 1/4 in pieces
1/4 cdutch- process cocoa powder, sifted after measuring
2 2/3 can(s)all purpose flour
3 tspbaking powder
6 Tbspcold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
6 ozbittersweet chocolate,but into small pieces
3/4 cmilk or buttermilk
How to Make Triple Chocolate Scones
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and pulse five to six times to mix thoroughly. Add the butter and pulse until it is finely mixed in and the mixture resembles cornmeal, ten to twelve pulses. Add the bittersweet chocolate chunks to the bowl.
- Quickly whisk the egg and milk together and add to the bowl. Pulse three or four times rapidly, until all is thoroughly incorporated but the dough doesn’t form a ball.
- Invert the bowl onto a floured work surface and carefully remove the blade. Fold the dough over on itself several times to give it a final mixing. Use a bench scraper or a knife to divide the dough into three equal pieces. Pat each piece of dough into a disk about five inches in diameter.
- Use a floured bench scraper or a knife to cut each disk into four wedges. Arrange the scones on the prepared pan, keeping them about 1 1/2-inches apart all around.
- Bake the scones until they are well risen, firm to the touch, and the topping is deep golden color, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately after they are baked. I like to serve them with softened butter, whipped cream, or you can leave them plain.
- To freeze scones, double wrap in plastic wrap and when ready to serve, defrost and reheat in the oven at a low temperature for five minutes.