Tried and True Tiramisu
- 3 tbsp. instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar, divided use
- 3 tbsp. coffee liqueur, such as tia maria
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. chocolate liqueur
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound (2 1/2 cups) mascarpone cheese
- 36 ladyfingers
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 13 x 9 inch baking pan
How to Make Tried and True Tiramisu
- 1Bring 2 cup water to a boil. Put water, espresso powder, 1 Tbsp. sugar and coffee liqueur in small bowl. Stir til sugar is dissolved, then cool.
- 2Put a small metal mixing bowl on top of pan container 1 cup of water over low heat. IN bowl, mix egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and chocolate liqueur. Using a handheld mixer or whisk, whip til tripled in volume, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove bowl from heat. Beat in mascarpone til just combined.
- 3In large bowl, beat cream til stiff, about 5 minutes. Fold in mascarpone mixture into whipped cream gently but thoroughly.
- 4Dip both sides of each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture and then use the ladyfingers to line the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with 18 ladyfingers in three rows, trimming edges to fit, if needed. Spread with half of the mascarpone filling. Repeat process, dipping 18 ladyfingers in coffee mixture and arrange them on top of the filling. Spread with remaining filling. Dust with cocoa or grated dark chocolate and chill, covered.
- 5Let tiramisu stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Dust with more cocoa or chocolate and serve. Serves 10 to 12