Tres Leches (Three Milks Cake) Cuban Style
Note: This one you eat with a spoon and it's SUPER DUPER RICH and gooey!
6 largeeggs, seperated
2 cgranulated sugar
2 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 cwhole milk
1 tspmadagascar pure vanilla extract
1 cheavy cream
14 ozcan evaporated milk
14 ozcan sweetened condensed milk
ICING FOR THE CAKE
3 largeegg whites
3/4 cgranulated sugar
How to Make Tres Leches (Three Milks Cake) Cuban Style
- CREAM TOPPING:
1. In a regular blender, combine the all of the "milks" and blend on high speed.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
3. In a stainless steel bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whipping attachment, beat the eggs whites on low speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar slowly and gradually with the mixer running and peak to stiff. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after you have added each.
4. Sift the flour together with the baking powder and add egg mixture, and alternate the milk. (Make sure you do this rather quickly so that you do not lose the volume). Add the vanilla.
5. Bake until golden for about 25 minutes.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and while it's still warm, pour the cream topping mixture over it.
7. Let sit and cool to room temperature about 30 minutes.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, for about 4 hours.
Note: You can make this up to 1 day in advance and chilling in refrigerator overnight is best.
- THE ICING:
1. In a saucepan combine the water and sugar, bringing to a boil. Reduce the heat and stir to dissolve sugar.
2. Cook until the mixture reaches the soft ball like stage, 235 to 240 degrees F (use a candy thermometer to be accurately sure).
3. Remove from the heat.
4. In a medium stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk to soft peaks. While beating, add the hot syrup in a steady stream. Beat until all of the syrup has been incorporated.
5. The mixture will start cooling and a glossy icing will form.
- TO ASSEMBLE:
1. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the icing evenly on the top of the cake. Serve cold.
Note: You can add fresh fruit like mango, strawberries or papaya to the top to make it your own.