Tres Leches Cake
(If you don't have cake flour do this: 1 cup AP flour - 2 Tablespoons AP flour + 2 Tablespoons cornstarch = 1 cup cake flour, sift together)
1 ccake flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1/3 cwhole milk
1/3 cpacked brown sugar
1 can(s)sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1 can(s)evaporated milk (12 oz)
2 cwhipping cream, divided
3 Tbsppowdered sugar
1/2 cberries of choice (or more!)
How to Make Tres Leches Cake
- Separate eggs; allow egg whites and yolks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in an extra-large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until yolks are pale yellow and doubled in size, about 3 minutes. Add whole milk and vanilla; beat 1 minute more. Pour yolk mixture over dry ingredients; fold together with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the large bowl and beaters, then beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the brown sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into the batter until just combined. Spread batter evenly in a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of the whipping cream and the cinnamon sticks. Bring just to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced to 3 cups, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Using a skewer, pierce the cake all over. Slowly pour half the milk mixture very evenly over the cake, going all the way to the edges. Wait 1 minute, then repeat with remaining milk. Let cake cool to room temperature, then chill, covered, for 8 to 24 hours.
- To serve, beat the remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and the powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over cake. Top with berries, if desired.