TJ's Coconut Chocolate Cake
- 1 box
- trader joe's(baker josef's) chocolate cake mix (substitute: your favorite chocolate cake mix/recipe)
- 1 1/3 c
- 1/2 c
- virgin coconut oil, warmed slightly to liquid state* (recommend: trader joe's organic)
- 3 large
- 1- 13oz jar(s)
- trader joe's cocoa almond spread, 1/3 cup reserved for frosting (substitute: nutella)
- optional: powdered sugar**
- 8 oz
- cream cheese, softened, room temp
- 1/2 c
- virgin coconut oil, room temp(soft white solid state)
- 1/3 c
- trader joe's cocoa almond spread
- 1 tsp
- 4 c
- powdered sugar
- sweetened coconut flakes
How to Make TJ's Coconut Chocolate Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2- 9" round cake pans.
- 2Mix together cake mix, water, coconut oil, eggs until thoroughly combined. Divide evenly into the 2 cake pans.
- 3Bake for approx. 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.*** Let cool.
- 4For frosting: Beat together cream cheese, coconut oil, 1/3 c. cocoa almond spread, & vanilla until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- 5Spread the remaining cocoa almond spread in jar onto first layer.
- 6Lay second cake on top(top side down) and frost. Sprinkle coconut on top. Enjoy!
- 7*The measurements for the water, oil, & eggs is according to the Trader Joe's instructions. If you use another brand cake mix, use the ingredients/measurements according to the box. Substitute coconut oil equally for the oil or butter called for on the box instructions.
- 8**I like the spread plain, however, it is not that sweet. Taste it. If sweeter filling is desired, beat in some powdered sugar to the spread to your tastes.
- 9***You may make this cake in a 9x13 pan or make cupcakes. Make sure to use baking instructions on the box mix you choose to use.
- 10Note: Coconut oil is a solid(white) at room temp and cooler. At temps above 76 degrees it becomes a clear oil. Store on counter at room temp for a soft butter-like consistency. Storing in fridge makes it hard(wax-like consistency). It very quickly can be warmed to an oil(10-15 seconds in microwave or if kept by oven).