- sponge cake, (10 to 12 inch about 3'' tall)
- 3 oz
- strong black coffee or instant expresso
- 3 oz
- brandy or dark rum (optional but suggested)
- 1 1/2 lb
- cream cheese or mascarpone softened
- 1 1/2 c
- superfine/powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
How to Make Tiramisu Dessert
- 1Cut across middle of sponge cake forming two layers, each about 1 1/2 inches high. Blend coffee and brandy. Sprinkle enough of mixture over bottom half of cake to flavor strongly. Don't moisten cake to much or it may collapse on serving.
- 2Beat room-temperature cheese and 1 cup sugar until sugar is completely dissloved and cheese is light and spreadable. Test for sweetness during beating, adding more sugar if needed. Spread cut surface of bottom layer with half of the cheese mixture.
- 3Replace second layer and top this with remaining cheese mixture. Sprinkle top liberally with sifted cocoa. Refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.