This Beets the Cake!
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Ok, I'll admit it: I did not tell my husband anything about the cake before serving it to him and asking for an opinion. His reaction? Tastes like cranberries! Melissa is so right - this is one delicious cake! We all liked the combination of flavors in this cake... Serve it with a wink and a nod. The beets can be our little secret. ;-) The Test Kitchen
- 1 jar(s)
- (approx. 14oz) beets, undrained (Sweet & Sour Harvard Beets)
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c
- 2 1/4 c
- self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 c
- applesauce, unsweetened
NOTES: REGULAR BEETS WILL WORK JUST AS WELL.
How to Make This Beets the Cake!
- 1Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in eggs. Add cinnamon and nutmeg then applesauce and mix well. Add in the flour, a little at a time on low speed till well mixed.
- 2Puree the beets in a food processor or blender until smooth (or heat in the microwave till soft and mash them with a potato masher or use a standard mixer to beat them). Mix beets into batter till well blended.
- 3Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured 13 x 9 pan or bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 4If you use a 13 x 9 pan, you can lightly ice the cake with store bought cream cheese frosting (just a glaze tastes best). If using a bundt pan you can glaze it or just sprinkle powdered sugar over it. Either way is yummy!