The Big Hamburger
3 boxpoundcake mix
6plain flat round cookies
2 can(s)ready to spread vanilla frosting
·red,yellow,and green food coloring
2brown m&m's candies
1 can(s)milk chocolate frosting
1 can(s)chocolate fudge frosting
1 boxchocolate snap cookies,coarsely crushed
30pignoli (pine) nuts
How to Make The Big Hamburger
- Heat oven to 350.Grease two 8 inch cake pans and one 2 1/2 to 3-qt metal or ovenproof glass mixing bowl with a rounded bottom.
- Prepare 1 double batch cake batter as directed on package using 2 packages cake mix.Then prepare 1 single batch.Fill each layer-cake pan 2/3 full. Scrape remaining batter into prepared bowl.Bake pans 30 to 35 minutes and bowl 55 to 60 minutes or until a pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean.Cool on wire racks,15 minutes for pans and 30 minutes for bowl.Invert cakes on racks and let cool completely.
- TOMATO SLICES:Place plain cookies on wire rack set over waxed paper.Put 1/2 cup vanilla frosting in a small saucepan.Stir over low heat until melted and smooth.Remove from heat and stir in red food color and a little bit of yellow if needed until frosting is tomato-colored.Brush or spoon on top and sides of cookies.Let stand at least 30 minutes,until firm to touch.
- EYES:Use a dot of vanilla frosting to glue M&M's pupils on marshmallows.
- LETTUCE: Use some vanilla frosting and color it green with food color.Use pastry bag and squiggle green around to make it look like lettuce.
- Put remaining vanilla frosting in a medium bowl.Stir in milk-chocolate frosting and red and yellow food color a little at a time til frosting is the color of a hamburger bun.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.Cover with bun colored frosting.Place remaining cake layer on waxed paper.Cover with chocolate fudge frosting.Press crushed snap cookies into frosting to simulate a hamburger patty.Using pancake turners lift patty onto bun.Spoon mustard about 1-in. from edge of top of burger letting some run down sides.Top with tomato slices.
- Trim hump off bowl cake.Place cake trimmed side down on wax paper and frost with remaining bun-colored frosting.Lift onto tomato-topped burger.Glue eyes in position with frosting.Press pignoli nuts in place.