Swedish Apple-Almond Kuchen
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1/3 cgranulated sugar
3/4 tspbaking powder
1/8 tspground cardamon or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
7 Tbspunsalted butter cut in small pieces
1/2 calmonds, sliced
1/2 cgranulated sugar
3 Tbspall purpose flour
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1/8 tspcardamon or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extra
3medium size golden delicious apples
How to Make Swedish Apple-Almond Kuchen
- 1. Heat oven to 350. Have 9-9 1/2 spring form pan ready.
2. To make crust in food processor:
Process flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamon (if using) just to mix.
Add butter and turn off machine 3-4 times until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add egg and vanilla (if using) and turn machine on/off until soft dough forms.
To make crust by hand:
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and cardamon (if using) in medium-sized bowl.
Cut in butter with pastry blender or mix with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in egg and vanilla (if using) until soft dough forms.
3. Spread or pat dough evenly over bottom and about 1-1/2 inches up sides of pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- To make filling:
1. Put almonds, sugar and flour in blender or food processor. Process about 1 minute until almonds are ground fine.
2. Add egg, butter, cardamon or vanilla until blended.
3. Peel, quarter and core apples.
Place each quarter cut side down and cut each lengthwise in thin slices, not cutting through. (Slices will be attached where core was).
4. Spread filling over crust. Arrange apple quarters over filling side by side, fanning slightly. Put one quarter in middle.
5. Bake 60-65 minutes until crust is very golden and apples slightly brown.
6. Place pan on wire rack, loosen edges and remove pan sides.
7. Cool on rack at least 1 hour or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours (longer is okay).
8. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish.