- 1 box
- white cake mix (your favorite brand.)
- 2 stick
- unsalted butter, softened
- 2 pkg
- 3 oz size of cream cheese, softened
- 2 jar(s)
- maraschino cherries (small) chopped
- 1 can(s)
- crushed pineapple (small)
- 1 pkg
- shredded cocunut
- 1 - 2 c
- chopped pecans
- 1 lb
- powder sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- milk (whole, 2%, 1% or skim)
How to Make Surprise Cake
- 1Bake cake according to package directions in two 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- 2Remove cake from pans after 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- 3Once cakes are completely cool, drain cherries and chop using a food chopper or cut into small bits and set aside.
- 4Drain small can of crushed pineapple well using a strainer and add to chopped cherries.
- 5Add chopped pecans to cherries and pineapple mixture. You can add as little or as much as you like. Stir well.
- 6Add shredded coconut to the cherry, pineapple and pecan mixture. Again you can add as little or as much as you like. Stir well and set aside.
- 7Cut 1 package of softened cream cheese and 1 stick of softened butter into pieces. Add to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer and cream together until well mixed.
- 8Fold in the cherry, pineapple, nuts and coconut mixture by hand until just mixed together. Do not over stir.
- 9Put all of this mixture on top of one of the cooled cake layers and spread evenly over the cake. Should be the same thickness as the cake layer.
- 10Place the remaining cake layer on top of the other layer with the filling.
- 11In the cleaned bowl of your stand mixer (or you can mix this with a hand mixer in a different bowl) cream 1 stick of butter and 1 package of cream cheese together until well mixed. Add Powder Sugar 1 cup at a time until it is incorporated well. Stopping to scrap bowl often. Adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and mixing (using no more than 3 tablespoons of milk.) (The consistency should be the same as a can of store bought icing.) Ice your cake.
- 12Once your cake is iced press the shredded coconut on the sides of the cake and sprinkle liberally on the top. Cake will need to be stored in the refrigerator due to the cream cheese.