This is a very OLD recipe (1926)from The Wisconsin State Fair 'Blue Ribbon Cookbook'.
How to Make SUNSHINE CAKE
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar until medium stiff. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks, water and extracts for 1 minute. Add to sifted dry ingredients and beat 1 more minute on medium speed.
- Gently fold egg/flour mixture into beaten egg whites 1/4 at a time.
- Pour into a tube pan and bake 45-50 in a 350 degree oven. When cake springs back to a light touch of the finger it is done.
- Invert pan to cool. Let stand overnight before removing from pan.
- Frost with a buttercream frosting or I like a powdered sugar glaze drizzled over cake.