How to Make Struffoli (Italian Honey Balls)
- 1Beat eggs with vanilla and salt.
Stir in enough flour to make a soft managable dough. Mix well.
- 2Toss onto floured board or countertop and knead 5 minutes til smooth.
Cut in half and wrap in parchment paper ( flour the balls so you can get them off the paper!).
- 3Set aside and place in a cool place for 30 minutes to rest.
- 4Take pieces of dough and on floured countertop, roll into rope like shapes.
Cut each into very tiny pieces.( 1/4" pieces). Spread on lightly floured surface and let them rest again for another 30 minutes.
- 5Heat oil in heavy medium size saucepan and place balls into pan in batches, keeping an eye on them as they brown very quickly. Drain each batch on paper towels.
- 6Pour sugar, honey and zest into medium pan and heat to dissolve sugar. Place all the balls into the pan and stir to coat all.
- 7Pile them onto a pretty plate into a cone shape. Sprinkle with colored sprinkles.