Strawberry summer cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
How to Make Strawberry summer cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan
- 2Whisk flour or flours, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- 3Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. You may have to overlap a few to get them all in. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- 4Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with lightly whipped cream.Do ahead: Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, loosely covered, but good luck with that.